View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 02:04 AM   #1
joseph
Bat Boy

Writer Seeking Help On Article/Concept

Hey,
I'm currently writing/researching an article that critiques MLB batting orders, the misconceptions and dogmas that guide a manager's poor decision making in that area and provide practical, concrete examples based on historic teams backed by statistical analysis.
I've found three such teams that I believe perfectly encapsulate my thesis. The problem I am having however, is I'd like to hypothetically rearrange these teams' batting orders for that particular season, keeping each players stats exactly as they are. Then, and here in lies the problem, I'd like to extrapolate the teams' productivity based on my "new" batting order. A sort of "what if" scenario. A quick example: Could you calculate how many runs the NY Yankees would of scored in '27 had Ruth batted lead off (keeping everyone's stats exactly as they are).
I imagine, mathematically, a pretty accurate number for runs produced can be achieved for these hypothetical teams since each player's stats are known. I just can't find a formula or run a simulation based on these numbers. I also run into an obvious problem; for instance, in the '27 Ruth scenario, he would obviously have 50+ extra PA, in turn, giving the guys behind him more PAs, etc.
So I'm looking for a collaborator who would be able to generate an accurate accounting of a teams' offensive changes using actual stats from that year, but only juggling the batting order.
I'd prefer to keep the teams I am working on private at the moment, but if anyone was seriously interested and are mathematically inclined, I'd love to work with you and split the credit as co-author.
If you are interested please let me know as soon as you can. You can message me via this site.

Thank you,

Joseph
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote