Thread: Strangeverse
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 12:56 AM   #99
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2074 Season (4/30 – 5/2 Vs San Diego) – Part I

San Diego Chargers (14-11) @ Phoenix Suns (16-9)
At #9 in the most recent power ranking, San Diego, not unlike San Francisco, is a team that is better than ours on paper. They boast lights out pitching from their starters, but their bullpen is leaking and they haven’t hit a lick. They sit last in the national league for runs scored and bullpen ERA, and, with the way things have been going for us lately, they’ll need more than that. During our visit to San Diego earlier this month we were humbled after our lopsided 11-2 victory in the last two games of the series – good opportunity for some get back. They are anchored on defense by their Right Fielder, Kelford Johnson. The 2-time Gold Glove winner is struggling a bit with his hitting, but his defensive efficiency is among the best in the game. Their pitching staff is led by Ace Burt McElheny, he’s putting together a nice campaign thus far with a 1.63 ERA and a 227 ERA+ - we have our work cut out for us.

26 of 162: Burt McElheny (2-2, 1.63 ERA) @ Isaiah Zuno (2-2, 5.59 ERA)
The Chargers opened the scoring with a run in the top of the 3rd, but Zuno, ultimately, navigated the self-inflicted jam well. Through 5, we only manage to get three hits, all singles, all weak… they get another across in the 6th and with the way McElheny is dealing it’s looking like a long night for our boys in the eggplant purple and burnt orange. Another run in the 7th for the Chargers – they just keep chipping away at us – real nice discipline at the plate for the visiting team. Through 7 we only manage 4 hits, while the Chargers have put 12 on the board – they get ‘em on, just rarely across. Holding on to a 5-hit shutout in the bottom of the 9th, we finally get the crowd on their feet with a couple of base knocks (with one belonging to your boy PEPPER) before CF Mitchell Cusac, batting #8, hits a 3-run bomb to tie up the game. The Chargers get another across in the 10th, but Derek, after hitting a double, is moved over to 3rd by Milbrandt and scores on an errant throw home from CF Smith Wells – tied up! Skip brings Jong-Hwan Song in to pinch hit and he promptly sends the second pitch he sees out of the park for a 2-run walk off home run. Phoenix wins 7-4! What a game!

Elsewhere: OKC SP Josh Allen hurled a shutout in Vancouver BC – he gave up only 4 hits and 2 walks while dealing 9 K’s. Easily his finest performance so far this season.

Note: As we move into May, I will post an update on the NCAA Top 25 – Tourney start on 5/20 – and put up a quick April Recap for the MLB… Standings, Statistical Leaders, Players of the Month – you know, the usual… After that, I’ll pick up this series and post the final three of the 4-game set. Then it’s a 12-game road trip that has us up north in Chicago & Toronto before heading to OKC and then back up north to Vancouver BC – racking up those miles! Digging the series-by-series play, may just swith to this format going forward - Also, Looking to bring 12 more teams into the league over the next 6 seasons to grow it up to 36 teams - dunno... I have the MLB club logos I want to use but have to figure out what I want to do for their AAA teams.
Attached Images

Last edited by pauwoo; 04-19-2019 at 01:11 AM.
pauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote