View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #15
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone shuffle View Post
First, likewise thanks very much for the response and your work on this.

As for this:

I understand the math behind this but, unless I'm missing something, this isn't accurate in, for example the current MLB divisional setup. Again, just for example purposes, consider the AL East and say that the combined HR factors for these 5 stadiums is 1.13. Wouldn't, for example the Yankees play 117 games in this environment (81 home/36 at 4 other AL East stadiums)? Wouldn't this turn your 40 HR player into an approximately 47 HR player,(+/- depending upon the home stadium)?

Regarding the change in Park Factors as noted in the OP, I can say with certainty that there has been some type of change. I'm currently playing a game that originated with version 15/2014 MLB roster set. As an example the 2B/3B factors at Camden Yards are .990/.880 respectively. I can only assume that the 3 season aggregate was not being used in 15?

Not sure what else to add here other than that it feels as though I/we(?) were misunderstanding the influence of Park Factors. Or that the game engine has moved toward a place where Park Factors are less of a factor?

Thanks for the discussion.
Hope you don't mind my commenting...

First I hadn't thought about those playing in divisions with multiple parks that have higher or lower than 1.000 parks, good point.

Too my eye nothing has changed with the park factors as we know them.
With the "new" way it has become a more generic across the league setting (Wrigley is 1.002 in every category?)where things should even out. In other words I don't think this is any different than playing a league where all factors had to add to 1.000 as you mentioned in your earlier post. It seems to me to be a different path to the same end, IE proper statistics.

My problem is it gets there in a generic way in that it doesn't matter which park the LHB 40 hr guy hits his homers, he's still going to get his +\- a few?

Over the coarse of a long running game maybe this doesn't matter statistically but, as I noted before, it matters to me as IMHO the parks have lost their individualized atmosphere. What's the point of looking forward to a trip to Fenway if righties don't hammer the Monster while lefties have long shots to the RF gap die in a fielder's glove? Losing handedness IMHO is huge in taking away the immersion factor of the game.

Maybe I'm over simplifying it?

As Garlin noted he did not do the 2019 park factors but, in my game, they seem to have been mixed in randomly. Wrigley is nerfed at 1.002 across the board and like all others done in this way has no l\L\R splits. While other parks still show splits and different modifiers in each category. I have to think this was a mistake? Surely they should have splits in the modern 2019 game?

In any case, as noted, I've returned to my factors from v19 through manual import and am happy to have found this discussion before starting my newest season.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote