View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 03:34 PM   #14
t-bone shuffle
All Star Reserve

First, likewise thanks very much for the response and your work on this.

As for this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlon View Post
Let's consider team A whose park yields 20% more HR and let's consider a player on team B who hits 40 HR playing in a completely average ballpark who then gets moved to team A. Well, in league with 15 teams, those HR factors should add up to 15.000. Team A has a park with 1.200 for HR, that means the other 14 parks must equal the other 13.80. Ok, 13.80/14 = .985. This player now plays half of his games in 1.200 and half in .985. OK, so 1.200+.985 = 2.185 and 2.185/2 = 1.092. So how many HRs does this guy now expect to have this season? 1.092*40 = 43.68. So about 3 more HRs for the season. If he is a guy who hits 9 HRs per year, he might be expected to hit 10 with team A.
I understand the math behind this but, unless I'm missing something, this isn't accurate in, for example the current MLB divisional setup. Again, just for example purposes, consider the AL East and say that the combined HR factors for these 5 stadiums is 1.13. Wouldn't, for example the Yankees play 117 games in this environment (81 home/36 at 4 other AL East stadiums)? Wouldn't this turn your 40 HR player into an approximately 47 HR player,(+/- depending upon the home stadium)?

Regarding the change in Park Factors as noted in the OP, I can say with certainty that there has been some type of change. I'm currently playing a game that originated with version 15/2014 MLB roster set. As an example the 2B/3B factors at Camden Yards are .990/.880 respectively. I can only assume that the 3 season aggregate was not being used in 15?

Not sure what else to add here other than that it feels as though I/we(?) were misunderstanding the influence of Park Factors. Or that the game engine has moved toward a place where Park Factors are less of a factor?

Thanks for the discussion.
t-bone shuffle is offline   Reply With Quote