View Single Post
Old 06-30-2019, 10:13 AM   #5
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
This is the reply from the thread I linked..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
Mike Garlon developed the formula for park factors. This is how he explained it:

I created all of the park factors used for OOTP. They are indeed based on the park effect on runs. What is done for each season and each park is take the park's 3-yr factor on runs and then create an appropriate increase or decrease in hits and HR that reproduce that park's impact on scoring runs. Each season this value needs to be recalculated using a quadratic equation because the distribution of singles, doubles, triples, and HRs and their impact on scoring changes each season in history.

I'm sure many think that it seems odd that the doubles and triples factors are always at 1.00, but actually when you change the BA factor to say 1.05 you are also raising doubles and triples by 5% as well simply because you are generating that many more hits overall, so we don't need an additional factor for doubles and triples as it is implied.

So basically it's one factor that is being used across BA/2B/3B/HR in order to replicate the scoring environment. If scoring is up say 10% in a given park, you need only boost all hits by a fraction of that amount, calculated through a quadratic equation, in order to reproduce the same scoring affect the park should have.
It says to PM Garlon if you have questions but wouldn't a discussion here be better for everyone?

I didn't look at this then, but with this thread, have taken another peek. I seems to me with this new method we no longer have "doubles" or "triples" parks. IE parks with big outfields where gappers are more common but homers are down due to longer distances? According to the explanation the doubles and triples will increase as the batting average does and that's all well and good but... doesn't that leave most (except the few outliers in vXX) parks with the same ratio of double and triples to hits? IE If doubles are 20% of hits then it's 20% of hits in most parks?

Isn't it the same too for rhb and lhb homers in most of the stadiums that have identical factors for both lhb and rhb as GoPedro99 brings up. Is this really correct?

Like I said in my first post, this must have been tested and found to work but it's such a drastic change more explanation would be nice. Too the eye it looks like it would work for correct totals but not for splits in HRs and extra base hits stadium to stadium?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote