Thread: Exit Velocity?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 06:05 PM   #126
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Yet teams do it every spring. Weird

Along with what they know about the guy from his minor league seasons if he's a rookie or in the case of a veteran his previous MLB seasons.

If y'all want to want to know the actual mph of the ball was when Stanton hits one halfway to New Jersey and think that will uncover something you didn't know about him then great, go for it. Enjoy the number. If knowing Mike Schmidt's AEV would have caused a re-evaluation of him as a power hitter, then we'll just have to lament that we didn't know just what the speed of the ball was off the bat after it landed in the upper deck of Veteran's Stadium. Woe is us, if only we knew, perhaps our opinion of Schmidt would have been different.

I wonder if Joey Gallo has a lot of power assuming he actually makes contact. I don't pay much attention to AEV so I guess I don't know. The balls he hits into the far reaches of various stadiums I guess doesn't tell me anything. I'm so old school, I'm totally in the dark. I bet I'm totally thinking the wrong things about him.

I think Mark McGuire was a really good power hitter because he had the best HR/AB ratio in history. I don't Ozzie Smith was much of a power hitter because he hardly ever hit any home runs. But that's old school. Y'all have convinced me. Without knowing the actual statcast powered by Amazon numbers it's just old school guesswork and using my eyes on my part.

Last edited by Curve Ball Dave; 03-23-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Curve Ball Dave is offline   Reply With Quote