View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 01:48 AM   #3
The Yurpman
Major Leagues

I'll share some of my strategies from doing countless drafts since OOTP 12. (I only play MLB QS, so I don't know if this would apply to fictional universes.)

Rounds 1-5 I will always draft the best player available, regardless of what my team needs are. You can always trade that player later on if you're stacked at the position. I will never pass up on a player for a lesser player that fits the needs of my team. Never. I usually go for position players first and then grab a SP or two in the first five rounds. I try to spread out the HS vs College player somewhat evenly, if possible. I don't want five HS players nor 5 college players. Bottom line, best player available, with preference to position players.

Rounds 6-10 is where I grab the majority of my SP. There are usually a bunch of pretty good SP left in these rounds. Also, any position players still left that look good, I'll grab. From these rounds on, I really don't care if they are HS or college players. I just want the best players.

Rounds 11-40 (or whatever the final round is for you) is where I look for my team needs. Say I'm short on catching and 2B prospects. I'll draft six or seven of each of them in these rounds in the hope that one or two become something. Besides that, I look for players that are above average-really good in one or two things. Pitchers that have high control and nothing else, OF that have high contact/speed, things like that. Finally, these are the rounds to find your RP, especially the later rounds. I've found RP in the 30s that end up making my big league club in some capacity. All it takes is for one average RP to get a big scouting upgrade and you suddenly have a big league middle inning RP on your hands. Not saying it works every time, but I can usually find at least one per draft that will make the big leagues eventually.

In a nutshell, those are my strategies. BPA early on, then look for specific needs. Hope that's helpful to someone!

EDIT: Forgot to add, stay away from low work ethic players. I try to stay away from low intelligence players too, but especially low work ethic. Those players will almost never develop in to what they should be.

Last edited by The Yurpman; 06-17-2018 at 01:51 AM.
The Yurpman is offline   Reply With Quote