View Single Post
Old 09-28-2019, 01:41 PM   #1924
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Looking around the 1940s

Been doing more reading lately more than anything.

I happened upon a couple articles in the New York Times, June 29th and 30th 1945, giving an account of Rocky Graziano / Freddie Cochrane fight. Cochrane was the reigning welterweight champion who'd enlisted in the Navy on August 7th after winning the welterweight title in June 1941. it was a non title fight, Cochrane's first since returning from 3 years service in the navy. The fight in which Graziano won by KO, 16 seconds into the 10th round was named 1945 Fight of the Year by the Ring.

Anyway in the same fight card that June 29th at Madison Square Garden was a 4 round heavyweight bout between an Sal Barardino and one Charley Lomski. Didn't see either in my DB so, here you go a couple new fighters, I think.

Sal Berardino - HW - USA
Career Record: W7(KO 6) / L2(KO 1) / D0

Unknown information has been left blank.
DOB has been estimated.

Fought Charley Lomski in 4 round undercard of the Madison Square Garden matchup of Rocky Graziano vs then welterweight champion Freddie (Red) Cochrane in a non title bout fight. In the June 30th, 1945 New York Times account of the Graziano/Cochrane fight, a brief review of the Berardino/Lomski matchup doted Berardino knocking out Lomski at 2:49 of the 3rd round.

All of Berardino's fights recorded in BoxRec were listed in 1945 except for his last record fight, a 2nd round KO to Bill Wilson in January 1951. Looked through Ring Magazines around the months this fight might have been reported but found no record of it.

Charley Lomski - HW - USA
Career Record: W3(KO 1) / L10(KO 9) / D0

Unknown information has been left blank.
DOB has been estimated.

Fought Sal Berardino in 4 round undercard of the Madison Square Garden matchup of Rocky Graziano vs then welterweight champion Freddie (Red) Cochrane in a non title bout fight. In the June 30th, 1945 New York Times account of the Graziano/Cochrane fight, a brief review of the Berardino/Lomski matchup doted Berardino knocking out Lomski at 2:49 of the 3rd round.

After winning a 6 round points decision over Jimmy Crawford in August 1945 to bring his record to 3-3, Boxrec shows him then loosing his last 7 fights by knockout in each.

By the way, I've not done much of anything with the Blog. As said, been just doing more reading and researching about 1940's boxing and been working on collectiong 1946 and 47 Ring magazines to help my history reading!
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Berardino_Sal_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.3 KB, 103 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Lomski_Charley_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.3 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by Rocco Del Sesto; 09-28-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Rocco Del Sesto is offline   Reply With Quote