View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #48
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Class of 2045 Veterans Committee Selections: McMullen, Rodriguez

League note: RL HOFer Joe Gordon hit 34 HR his rookie season, went to the All Star Game and won a Gold Glove in 2043. In 2044 he suffered a CEI.

HOF note: Can't help myself from getting nuts and bolts, again. This is the first class where the Veteran selections will have an actual impact on the VBBWAA ballots. I am very excited about this. I wrote up the last class implying that the writers looked to the early entries before deciding on their picks, but there was no actual impact behind the scenes. This time, there will be. If the writers select more than 4 entries, another mechanism kicks in, which I will explain if it happens.

The effect the entries of McMullen and Rodriguez is that instead of using the 35 previous entries for First Ballot Selections, the previous 35 and McMullen's and Rodriguez' entries will be the basis for the First Ballot screenings of the OOTP entered players that were not screened before the positional quotas were filled for this class.

Wordy, I know. Is easier just to say that the writers react to the Veterans Committee picks. And that is pretty cool.

-----------------------------------------

Ken McMullen was the 29th overall pick in the 2005 draft by the St Louis Cardinals.

In 2006, he batted .311 with 23 HRs and 82 RBI to win the Rookie of the Year.

McMullen had at least 20 HR and 80 RBI in every season that he played. He batted .300 5 times and never had an average below .284. In Spring Training of 2017, he suffered a hip injury. In May it was determined that the injury was not correctable and his career was done after 11 seasons.

Except for a 93 GP 2009 season (30 HR 81 RBI), McMullen was a sturdy player. He played in at least 132 games in all other seasons, which is very meaningful given the injury/fatigue settings in place.

In 7 of those 11 seasons McMullen was named to the All Star team.

In 2007 he led the league in slg% with a .606 mark and led the Cardinals to a World Series victory. Young HOF pitchers Lou Galvin and Ben Tincup also hoisted the trophy with McMullen.

In 2010 he led the league in doubles by hitting a career high 52.

In 2011 he led the league in triples by hitting a career high 8.

Slashing 311/375/543 (40th, 1 slot behind Hack Miller/80th/70th) in his abbreviated career, McMullen collected 320 HR and 365 doubles amongst his 1840 base hits. His npa OPS+ for his career is a 148. He drove in 1108 (81st) and scored 956 runs.

McMullen won a Gold Glove at second base before converting to a third baseman (he enters the HOF as a 3Bman) and won a GG at the hot corner, as well.

McMullen enters the HOF at the age of 57.

Black Ink: 6
Gray Ink: 137
HOFm: 110
HOFs: 50

Gorilla Composite: 2.9

----------------------------------------

Alex Rodriguez is the second active (for the time being, at least) player to be inducted into this HOF. As a 25 year-old, Rodriguez was selected by the Reds with the 24th pick in the 2004 Inaugural Draft.

At the age of 67, A-Rod is the oldest player to be inducted into the HOF. Come to think of it, the way things are going, 2045 just might be about the time that Alex gets the call from Cooperstown.....

A-Rod played 697 games at SS and 811 at 3B. It is as a third sacker that he enters the HOF. 3B is now the most represented position in the HOF, with the McMullen and Rodriguez inductions, the complete opposite of RL. Whether the new OOTP fielding aging formula has anything to do with this, my sample size is far to small to be meaningful.

In the league's second year pf operation, Rodriguez popped 61 HR and collected 163 RBI and scored 126 runs...all of which would stand as career highs. He had a cool looking 1.111 OPS on a 332/411/699 slash line (npa OPS+ 180). The slash numbers and OPS+ number were all career bests. This year would be worth an MVP award. His only one. His HR, RBI, VORP and WAR numbers for the 2005 season stand as the best in league history for a SS.

Playing through the 2016 season, Rodriguez stroked 1839 hits, 457 of which were HR (30th). He was 1248 RBI (51st) to his credit and scored 1112 (69th). His career slash line of 278/358/536 gives him a career npa OPS+ of 134. His slg% is good for 83rd place all-time, one spot above Vic Saier.

Rodriguez was named to 4 All Star teams.

Black Ink: 7 (68)
Gray Ink: 89 (212)
HOFm: 117.5 (371)
HOFs: 47 (78)

Gorilla Composite: 2.6 (5.7)
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote