View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #20
themonk
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post

Thanks again everyone for the very beneficial advice.
I'm having a great time so far.

I originally started out with a small fictional league just to get a feel for things, basically letting the AI manager make most of the hard decisions and all of the game-day decisions.

Slowly I've felt my understanding improve to an extent that I'm taking over more functions and assuming a more hands on role in things like roster management (promotions, demotions), line-ups & draft and trades.
I'm playing the odd game or two myself as well, with some good results and also some not so good.

I then set up a fictional Historical league starting in 1936 and have done really well over the course of 4 seasons(with albeit a fair bit of help from my AI manager) winning back to back World Series in 38 & 39 with the Dodgers. The success has emboldened me to try assume more control for my next season.

I even watched my first game of baseball (Giants v Phillies) in about a decade yesterday on my day off from work. Not sure I gleaned a great deal from it that I could immediately extrapolate to playing OOTP(and being an Aussie I still would prefer to watch 5 consecutive days of cricket!!).

One area that I do feel is holding me back some is my nil to limited understanding of most of the statistics (other than the basic ones) and their correlation & significance to strategic or tactical decisions that I as a manager should be making based on my interpretation of the data.

As a result until I can get a better understanding of how to process the data, I think I am going to have to rely on the AI manager to make a fair amount of the decisions.

Anyway, once again thanks for time you have all taken to help me along the steep learning curve, it's greatly appreciated.
Great!

By the way, I'm presently reading, "Baseball For The Utterly Confused." It's a great read for those who are just starting out in learning about baseball.

My favorite chapter is: Chapter 7 - Managerial Strategies. It's really great help for me in understanding the basics of managing a baseball team & the basic strategies that a manager employs in a baseball game. (You can apply these strategies to OOTPB.)

Here's a summary of the book's contents:

Preface vii

Introduction: For the Love of the Game 1

Chapter 1 Rules of the Game 13

Chapter 2 Momentous Moments—from the Beginning Through
World War II (1823–1945) 27

Chapter 3 Batter Up—the Art of Hitting 39

Chapter 4 Momentous Moments—the Golden Age of Baseball
(1946–1957) 53

Chapter 5 The Art of Pitching—a Comprehensive Lesson
(So, Heads Up) 65

Chapter 6 Momentous Moments—Expansion (1958–1967) 83

Chapter 7 Managerial Strategies 97

Chapter 8 Momentous Moments—Divisional Play (1968–1975) 117

Chapter 9 Stats—Keeping Score, Sabermetrics, and Fantasy Baseball 131

Chapter 10 Momentous Moments—the Dawn and Rise of Free Agency
(1976–1993) 151

Chapter 11 Defining and Climbing the Standings 185

Chapter 12 Momentous Moments—the Wild-Card Era (1994–Present) 193

PS

Being a history buff, I also love the historical chapters...

Last edited by themonk; 07-30-2011 at 12:08 AM.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote