View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #17
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks again everyone for the very beneficial advice.
I'm having a great time so far.

I originally started out with a small fictional league just to get a feel for things, basically letting the AI manager make most of the hard decisions and all of the game-day decisions.

Slowly I've felt my understanding improve to an extent that I'm taking over more functions and assuming a more hands on role in things like roster management (promotions, demotions), line-ups & draft and trades.
I'm playing the odd game or two myself as well, with some good results and also some not so good.

I then set up a fictional Historical league starting in 1936 and have done really well over the course of 4 seasons(with albeit a fair bit of help from my AI manager) winning back to back World Series in 38 & 39 with the Dodgers. The success has emboldened me to try assume more control for my next season.

I even watched my first game of baseball (Giants v Phillies) in about a decade yesterday on my day off from work. Not sure I gleaned a great deal from it that I could immediately extrapolate to playing OOTP(and being an Aussie I still would prefer to watch 5 consecutive days of cricket!!).

One area that I do feel is holding me back some is my nil to limited understanding of most of the statistics (other than the basic ones) and their correlation & significance to strategic or tactical decisions that I as a manager should be making based on my interpretation of the data.

As a result until I can get a better understanding of how to process the data, I think I am going to have to rely on the AI manager to make a fair amount of the decisions.

Anyway, once agian thanks for time you have all taken to help me along the steep learning curve, it's greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot; 07-29-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote