View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #17
goroyals
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaGorilla View Post
The 2015 season is in the books. I am simming through 2023 and then picking up a team to play, which slows things down. The HOF will open in 2034.

A revision has been made to the algorithm for determining the number of players that enter in a year, and I really like it. This method uses proportionality of league of players as the basis of the number of inductees. What is cool about this is that, once coded, you could have a 4 team league, a 40 team league, or a 400 team and you would get a number of Hall entrants that reflects proportionately on RL.

Also, you could wait 100 years before establishing a HOF and you would get a number of Hall entrants that is represents a 100 year sample size of players. There might be 15 entrants expected in an initial class that had 100 years of history. There is no set number of entrants, but the probability is set by the number of players that have played the game at the time of each ballot.

As I said, I really like this. It is an elegant formulation that would make the process produce a realistic number of entrants for a league of any type that has been in existence for any amount of time and has any number of alumni. This is precisely what I have been aiming for with this model. I think this may be the final piece for universal applicability.

Now that I have it, it seems like such an obvious method. I laugh thinking how it took me six months to reach the obvious. If only all things in life could be learned in that time span.

2034 cannot get here fast enough, for me.
I have catching up on all your HOF threads today, and I'm really intrigued by all the work you've done, and this algorithm in particular. Would you care to shed a little more little on this "magic number" when you've gotten it fine tuned?

Again fantastic work. You really ought to post it in the dynasty forums, because you are clearly as passionate about this as some are about playing the game in more "conventional" ways.
goroyals is offline   Reply With Quote