View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #14
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Have you looked at his real career and then at his neutralized stats? At work, but I think he has one year where the game has him getting 58 wins. Must be a database error.
Nice find.

This is an issue with the neutralization process, itself, and how the formula outputs data from a completely dissimilar (and extreme) baseball structure that is the 19th Century.

This is wholly separate from OOTP not using ball park factor as a factor in the equation.

To fix this would require a modification of the neutralization formula (some of us think we have a better one than the Jamesian process on BBREF) and would be somewhat involved.

The addition of ball park effects to the neutralized stats in use would be a simple data dump.

Again, very nice find. The skewed performance of the 19th century pitchers has been a point of ire on the forums. This is not the fault of OOTP, but the neutralization formula, itself.

The ball park effects could be added easily. The 19th century correction may be a hydra head issue.

The lack of ball park factors in the neutralization stats really bothers me (there are a couple other issues that are simply sloppiness I have noticed, also, in the neutralizations). I held off on posting more, as I found more, and have been exploring the goings on, and am wanting to make a concise presentation.
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote