View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #10
Dunzie
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findest2001 View Post
You see, what I don't understand is when someone says "Carew can hit at the perfect level", but when I played him in Silver he was downright awful. -0.6 WAR, below mendoza line with no power to speak of, his OBP I believe was around .270-.276-ish, and only mediocre at best for defensive ability.
His second season in silver was MUCH worse so I sold him by the all-star break. So my question is, if a guy can hit so well in Perfect league, why do they suck so badly at Silver?

If you gave him a fair chance and he didn't hit I can only say I'm surprised... he regularly hits .300 for my red team at Perfect. WAR is sometimes misleading to me as a stat because it takes into account a lot of things including defense vs alternative players. Here's my Carew's last 3+. WAR ratings aren't awesome, but they aren't bad either.

He doesn't hit a lot of home runs - and keep in mind my park is set up not to favor hitters the way some do. But he's a capable .300 guy. Maybe not the right fit for all teams, but I like him as a contact hitter who gets on base.

Also... before you go feeling all hopeless about comparing the rosters I posted from the high end, check out this team from my current P416 league. ONE card above gold. Just one! And check out the record - he's in first comfortably in the NC West. 10 game lead in fact. I won't give away his park settings or what I see is his strategy. But he's winning large in his second year in Perfect after winning Diamond. Some guys do a great job with matching their park and their strategy to their players and making it work.

Dunzie is offline   Reply With Quote