View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
Dunzie
All Star Reserve

I think I can help out with what Perfect level rosters can look like. I have three teams at Perfect, one of which was into Perfect the first year it opened up, and two that I brought along slower, but still have been at Perfect for 9 seasons now or more.

The first is my top team if you will, the Blue Gryphons. They've won 3 Perfect WS titles now, and generally are a playoff team, and in 18 seasons in perfect now have missed the playoffs 4 times. To show the spread, the WS titles came in 2025, 2035, and 2038. I have the park set up completely neutral and run a balanced type of managerial setup.

In the grand scheme it's a competitive team. I have a few Perfect cards, but none of the real high priced ones, and instead I've gone with trial and error with cards I think give bang for the buck. I try to have players that may not win gold gloves, but play decent D, and have put more emphasis on putting my PP into pitching than offense overall I'd say.

Next one is my Gryphons Gold team. In 11 seasons, they've only qualified for playoffs the past two seasons, but last year (2039) they won the P401 WS title. It was still an underdog situation, but I do feel the team is pretty competitive most years. Again more emphasis on pitching and decent defenders, and a few players in common with my Blue team. This is the kind of team that takes a while to build but you could get to this point as a FTP with smart AH purchases. This season (2040) they're playing darn near .600 ball in an average Perfect league, so it's possible being competitive without having Perfect Pedro or Gooden or Bonds or Old Hoss, as long as you have decent balanced pitching and use your bench well. May never win another WS, but still it's fun being competitive and occasionally you can surprise. Again neutral park, and manager settings fairly conservative and utilizing speed and defensive replacements / pitcher hooks.

Last up is my Gryphon Red team. This team is a FTP team that's been at Perfect level for 9 seasons, and never qualified for playoffs yet (although did come within a game of the second WC spot two seasons ago). More bargain shopping than spending on the AH, and using tricks and cards I've learned can work with my Blue team. OK, not in danger of winning a WS any time soon at Perfect, but usually comfortably above the relegation cut line. A couple close calls earlier on, but last few years playing roughly at a .450 clip or so. Small victories. I'm trying to find players to make depth an advantage, and subbing in top defenders late when I have any kind of leads. I could use another top starter or two for sure to bump up the overall chances at playoffs, but at the same time no real dogs in there either, and golds like Carew and Clemente can hit at the Perfect level. Raines is surprisingly good too, although maybe more prone to occasional "off" years. But steals a ton of bases for me.

Hopefully that is some help.
Dunzie is offline   Reply With Quote