View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016, 10:26 AM   #45
PBCA Commish
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Raht View Post
Please guys, keep in mind that you could still just let OOTP upload the reports file by file. There is no reason why you would have to save the reports in a database. It's optional and for some users on certain servers it will work better than using report files. But if report files do work for us, you do not have to use the reports database.
I can give one very good reason why it's better to use the database reports: Because it is A LOOOOOT faster than uploading the reports file by file. It takes hours to use this method, while the unpacking merely takes minutes.

Honestly, if I had to run a league and update the reports by uploading files one by one, I wouldn't Commish a league. Who in their right mind wants to jam their OOTP game for 1-2 hours if not more uploading reports? No one. The whole sim operation using the database reports takes less than 10 minutes...why use an option that would take hours to run?

I have been trying to help 2 Commishes with the database reports and the unpacking scripts (the old one and the new one) and both use the same host that I am on. The server on which I am hosted (apparently I'm lucky) can still run php 5.4, which runs the unpack script perfectly everytime. The other 2 commishes I'm helping do not have 5.4 on the server that they are hosted on and have tried running the script on both 5.5 and 5.6 and neither works properly.

Either it's a problem with the host, or a problem with the script. But at least, if OOTP gives a script to unpack the reports to a database, they should be able to support it. That's part of the reason why we pay 40$ a year to have a fine running game. OOTP should not hide behind the fact that there's a different way to update online reports. You have 2 options for the reports, you have to support both for your users. It's just common sense.

I don't mean to bash anyone on here, but if the game gives you an option and that option is not running properly, then a patch will fix it. It should be the same for the unpack script. I'm not saying OOTP is solely responsible here for the fact the script is not working, we're asking questions to the host as well (who's not very collaborative) but in the end, this is creating a very frustrating situation for a bunch of people...

Sorry for venting. I love OOTP but the script situation has caused me and 2 other commishes a lot of frustration the past few weeks.
PBCA Commish is offline   Reply With Quote