View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 11:47 AM   #11
Deft
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike121212 View Post
I've abused similar concepts in versions a few years ago. 12 RP Staff

I disagree with you strongly on the modern bullpen though. Your links show that modern teams are getting less value out of their top pitchers. If you really want to maximize this strat, the goal should be to get both more innings and innings in higher leverage situations from your best relievers. Modern roles should be forgotten and multi-inning appearances embraced.

If you look back at my results, 35 wins and 200 innings were common for my top relievers, capping with an insane 40 win season.

I'm not sure if it's still as easy to get dominant RP in the second round and beyond of the draft anymore. A big part of doing this was to demonstrate just how broken this was in the past.
I used a similar strategy to what you suggested and I think the results are really biased based on the OOTP flawed handling of relief pitchers. I agree that single inning usage of closers and set up men is a silly limit but this area is not the worst application of current MLB pitching staffs.

If there were something I would like added to OOTP, it would be home and away lineups. The most powerful idea of this lists is being able to pinch hit in the 2 hole in the lineup as an away team to start the game. It disguises your true starter, pushes a pitchers plate appearance two more at bats later in the game, and sets up your pitcher to be in the ideal position for sacrifice bunting a good OBP hitter batting in the 9th or 1st lineup position to second base for the meat of the order.

Last edited by Deft; 12-29-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Deft is offline   Reply With Quote