View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #35
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Sir, you really are learning Baseball fast if you intentionally spelled the name of your team the "New York Yankies." *

And from reading this, I can tell that you are HOOKED:
Quote:
I'm not ready to give up and admit that I've thrown away my cash on something I will never use. I'm still intrigued by the prospect of understanding all those letters and numbers. Somehow I have to make an effort to learn more about baseball itself and about the way OOTP works. I hit the forums and make a few random comments about the inaccessibility of baseball to the layman. I make a few comments about my thoughts on the way FM is going and quickly realise there are quite a few fans of that game here as well. I receive almost instant replies to everything I type. I'm not used to this, and the fact that this community is so active inspires me to continue to look into it more and more. A guy calling himself The Wolf posts me several links to articles about baseball, how it works, what the rules are, what the positions are, some of the more rare plays - there is a hell of a lot of information to process but I begin to read, I read for a whole day, and I begin to understand Baseball. I'm impressed with the thread of humour that winds its way through some of these articles - these 'baseball geeks' aren't so uptight, they are just Fans, and are passionate about a sport they clearly love. Back on the forums I'm getting more and more people rushing to offer me help. They are eager for more people to learn about the sport and about the computer game they have so much feeling for. They are not dismissive of the clueless- they are not dismissive of me.
I'm beginning to really take pleasure from the fact that I'm not just unproductively playing games, that I'm learning something, that even though it might seem worthless in the 'big scheme of things' what I'm really learning about is not just a game but a big part of another culture. A part of that culture that embraces those who show any interest in it. (Me -)
Well done, and welcome.

* I should explain this comment. The New York Yankees are the most successful franchise in Major League Baseball history. Naturally, that incurs the jealousy of baseball fans from other parts of this country, resulting in somewhat infantile references to the New York Hankies, the New York Skankies, etc. By the way, it's Red Sox even though Socks is the correct spelling, of course. Both the Boston and Chicago teams in our American League (which, along with the National League, comprises Major League Baseball) choose to spell the word with an "x" as in the Boston Red Sox and the Chicago White Sox. I don't know why.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 10-22-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote