View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #33
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by English_Ray View Post
Another +1 on that - the HTML has taken a big backwards step in 13.
I'd say "let's get some JavaScript in this ish" but stupid IE out of the box makes you run some modifications to run it directly from your computer and I am going to guess that too many people have that set as their default browser. Otherwise, though... correct me if I'm wrong but I think everything's still table-based rather than HTML/CSS based, which can cause issues on funky-sized monitors (although the spreadsheet portions of the pages, which in fairness make up the vast majority of stuff, should probably remain in tables).

If nothing else, the computer-generated source HTML continues to be a massive PITA to read, and that in turn makes it harder to scrape infos directly from the pages. Compare and contrast the page Killebrew tossed up with the pages at realgm.com, for instance: even though the latter arguably has more information to spit out and does a *lot* more with the info as well, the source code is a lot easier to read.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote