View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #49
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1981 ALCS: TEXAS RANGERS VS. BALTIMORE ORIOLES

It's the deciding Game 5 of the ALCS. The score is 0-0. It's the bottom of the 9th. 2 outs. Texas RF Claudell Washington steps up to the plate. Here's the pitch.. and the swing.. it's a flyball to deep right field.. it's going, going, gone! Rangers win! Rangers win! On a walk off home run! And they're going back to the World Series!

High drama in the ALCS as the Rangers win on a walk off home run in the last inning of the series. And as often is the case in baseball, it's the unheralded Claudell Washington as the hero, a guy that I've been giving about half of the at bats in RF to.

It was a pitching showcase in the ALCS, with every one of the 5 games a shutout. We only gave up 3 total runs, but the series still went the distance. Game 5 was a scoreless draw between our aces Nolan Ryan and the O's Mario Soto. I made the fateful decision to get Ryan out for Goose Gossage in the 9th inning, while the O's left in Soto for the whole game and the clinching home run.

Our stopper duo of Len Barker and Gossage was instrumental in closing out games and keeping our runs against so low. I think they got us out of a couple jams with a ton of runners on base. Goose has already made up for his poor playoff showing last season.

Our bats were pretty quiet, and they have little time to wake up because we're going up against the New York Mets in the World Series! The Mets look to have the best rotation in the NL -- ultra-ace Steve Carlton, Don Sutton, Dave Righetti (who we traded to them to get Julio Franco), Ken Forsch, and an aging but still okay Tom Seaver. It's maybe even the best rotation in all of baseball. The TEX-NYM series will decide it!
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by Argonaut; 12-03-2019 at 12:33 AM.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote