View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #46
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1980 ALCS: WON BECAUSE OF A BALK AND A MADDUX

The 1980 ALCS between the Rangers and Brewers was exciting, with the home teams winning each of their two games by 1 run each. Game 2 was won, I kid you not, by a balk. A BALK. I've attached the game log. The pitcher balked with runners on 1st and 2nd, moving them to 2nd and 3rd. Then Mike Hargrove hits a sac fly. That runner who was on 3rd turned out to be the winning run. BALK!

I thought the series was over after the balk incident, but Milwaukee of course won their home games. Nolan Ryan was wild again. And I grew frustrated by the AI's bullpen management throughout the series. Leaving starters in too long, picking the wrong guys out of the pen, etc. So I decided to step in and manage myself for the deciding Game 5.

And then Gaylord Perry decided to go ahead and throw a flipping Maddux! 9.0 IP, 5 HA, 0 R, 0 BB, 9 K, 99 pitches. No managing decisions required after all. Perry also won Game 1, allowing 2 runs in 7.0 IP. I was shocked that he wasn't given Series MVP, and I expand upon that point in this thread. At 42 years old, Perry is likely still our most reliable pitcher. I'll pencil him in as top of the rotation for the World Series.

In all of the excitement of the ALCS, I forgot to check who we are facing in the World Series! It's either the Mets or the Dodgers... you and I will find out later.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote