View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #16
DB930
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
As impressive as the amount of work that you have obviously put into this workaround is (and it certainly is), there's just one little problem I have with the technique you're using: It's etched in granite at the beginning of each game with no way to make on-the-fly adjustments. Two things:

1.) Let's say some modder introduces a new and improved name file you want to incorporate into your game, or you discover that one you're already using is either flawed in some way or isn't yielding the results you had hoped for...and you've already simmed 50 years into your current game. You now have no other recourse but to either restart your sim, write it off as a loss, or wait until your next sim to make the changes you want, which might not occur until the next version is released, depending on deeply you're into your current game.
That much is true, for the most part. The possibility of new namesets being released has never really been an issue in the past, because people rarely bothered due to the hard cap on languages/ethnicities. It's suddenly become much more of a concern (but a nice problem to have) in 19, with all the stuff Dogzilla and Phantom Player and joefromchicago have been posting. And I'll admit that I've been delaying starting my new league for 19 just because I want to collect and add as many new namesets as possible beforehand. But at this point I think I have almost everything I realistically want... other than some better, more specific sets for some of the Latin American countries like Puerto Rico, Venezuela, and Mexico (and ones for Panama, Colombia, and Brazil would be nice, too).

And as far as my setup being flawed or not giving me the right results: not a problem for me anymore. I've been playing this format, using these basic methods, for several years and several versions now, and I pretty much have it down pat. It's really pretty simple with not much room to screw it up and have something weird happen. I admit that I did make a few mistakes early on, but they had to do with me not understanding how the game handled certain things... and they were so bad that a re-start was really the only way to fix it; a re-import wasn't going to save things at that point.

Quote:
2.) You've simmed 100 years and have changed your mind about which direction you want your universe to go in. Maybe you've recalculated current demographic trends and want to make the necessary adjustments, or have simply re-imagined the future of your universe entirely. Afer all, no one can predict the future, especially with current migration trends. That's it. You're done. Why? Because you're limited as to how far you can deviate from your pre-scripted formula. The re-import function, if it worked, instantly fixes those things.
Again, not an issue for me personally, because I'm sticking closely to the way real-life history played out. I've never actually made it from my starting point in 1876 all the way up to the present-day (gotten close a couple of times), but if I do my plan has always been to stay with whatever the present-day status quo is, play a few years into the future, and then go back to 1876 and start all over.

But while that's not a problem for me, I do acknowledge that it could be one for other people, especially those who have more a fictional element to their leagues than I do.

Quote:
Besides, it's not as if anyone here is belatedly asking for a new function to be suddenly added to the game, only that one which is already in the game function properly in order to spare us from spending countless hours of micromanagement in simply setting up each new game and allow us more time to enjoy the game the way it was meant to be enjoyed. Surely, that's not an unreasonable request, is it?
I don't think I ever suggested that it was.

Quote:
BTW.....and I'm not writing this to pick a fight with you....but starting a conversation with the supercilious phrase "Please take a deep breath" is a little counter-productive. It tends to taint how people read your stuff. No, I wasn't angry at you, I simply challenged your earlier assertion that everything was working fine, which was incorrect. I am, however, obviously unhappy that the re-import feature isn't working as advertised, so please try not to interpret that as misdirected anger against you. Hopefully, we're cool.
No, I agree. Your post came across as a bit confrontational, so I threw a little snark back into mine. But only a little, cuz I knew I might be reading it wrong, and hey, let's keep this productive if we can.

And just for the record, my assertion wasn't that "everything was working fine." It was that yes, the re-import function was broken, but the ability to add an unlimited number of languages/ethnicities is working correctly, and provides the ability to do pretty much everything I want, and a lot of what you want. So, working 100% fine? No. But also not severely limited or stunted entirely (IMO, anyway).

And yeah, we're cool. We're both on the same side here--something's broke and we want it fixed... even if I'll still never use it (sorry, I just don't think I'll ever trust the re-import to work the way I want/expect it to).
DB930 is offline   Reply With Quote