View Single Post
Old 08-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #4
Griever20
Hall Of Famer

News Update: December 21st

New Owner to Be Announced in February, Blue Jays Still Shut out of Trade Market
thestar.com
December 21st, 2012

So, what is the state of the Jays? The team was able to present their fans a new (interim) manager. Looking for someone who is already familiar with the organisation, 50-year old John Gibbons was signed on a one-year deal to be the skipper of the Blue Jays.

Gibbons had a stint as manager of the team from 2004 to 2008 and was able to get his team to two winning seasons(2006 87W and 2007 83W) before getting fired after a 35-39 start to the 2008 regular season. Asked about why he hired on the sinking ship, Gibbons said "I never shied away from any challenge, and this team was the first to give me a chance to manage. This way, I can give something back."

The Ownership:

We are nearing christmas, and Bud Selig has been speaking alot lately... with the media and reportetly, with potential buyers. The things he said can be interpreted in many ways, but the latest announcement is that by February 15th, a new ownership group or owner will be presented by Major League Baseball. If those guys want to keep the team in Toronto... is unknown.

Deals:

In order to somehow cover the team, the Blue Jays were able to still snag the services of SP Roy Oswalt for 2y/$4M. The veteran is coming off a horrible year with the Rangers, appearing in 17 games, starting nine and posting a 4-3 record with a 5.80ERA.

Also, infielder Maicer Izturis agreed to a 2y/$2.2M deal to join the Jays. The versatile 32-year old is coming off a .256-2-20 .634OPS year in 100 games with the Angels, the team he has been with since 2004.

And finally, the team bought reliever Jeremy Jeffress from the Kansas City Royals for a unspecified amount of cash. Once a 1st round pick by the Brewers, Jeffress fell out of favor and was pretty bad last year, posting a 6.75ERA in 13.1 innings in Kansas City.

All three deals were agreed upon by Major League Baseball and a Council of Owners, while a possible 2y/$10M deal with outfielder Melky Cabrera was vetoed. Cabrera signed with the Rangers yesterday for the same amount of money.
Griever20 is offline   Reply With Quote