View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 08:24 AM   #1
GSWarriors22
Bat Boy

Questions from a complete Newcomer

Hey guys,

I am absolutely new to OOTP Baseball, and I have a few questions concerning the game before I want to purchase it, so I figured that this was the best section to get some answers.

To begin, I am a casual baseball fan (from Europe), I have watched some games over the years and even been to a few stadiums while visiting. I also play The Show from time to time so I guess that has helped me a little with my understanding of the game. That being said, Im not a stats nerd, and my comprehension of the game is kinda limited to understanding what skills each defensive position requires (range and arm at third and right field, pretty much a little of everything at short stop etc). I also get that you want guys with good OBP as your number 1 and 2 hitters, and a cleanup guy at nr 3 (and after that its blank for me ).
I do get the draft, FA and Minor League system, so thats a plus.

Aside from that, I dont know much. I love manager games, unfortunately there aren't any decent basketball and football managers (for mac), although Im hoping for OOTP's FOF to come out soon OOTP Baseball however is so critically acclaimed for what it does, that I am super intrigued and I might wanna give it a shot.

Im thinking that Ill be setting up more of a GM type of game to start. I honestly do not have enough time to go through every full game of the RS, and I want to make decent progress in a fairly short amount of time. As you can see my knowledge of the game is superficial, so I doubt that I would do particularly well "coaching" the team.

I guess my question is if you think this game is "beginner friendly"? I want depth in terms of FA, draft and development, but Im not a baseball guy, so I wont coach a team to a championship.
Do you think the AI does a good job coaching the team? Can I build a championship team and leave it in the hands of the AI coach to win it all? Other manager games tend to not get the most out of team when given control, how does OOTP compare to that?
Do you have any general tipps and advice for a beginner of the game as well as the sport?

Thanks in advance!
GSWarriors22 is offline   Reply With Quote