View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 01:04 PM   #12
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
This is either misleading, or I don't understand how defense works in OOTP. Or both are possible.

Supposing that both SS were 2 WAR players, switching from one to the other shouldn't, by itself, result in going from under .500 to a a division winner (outside a strange set of circumstances like winning the division being under .500).

Whether a player is 2 WAR because of helping to score more runs, or helping to prevent more runs, shouldn't matter. Outside of a few effects you can leverage (groundball staff vs strike out staff, additive properties of offense and defense - adding runs to a protent offense increases wins more than playing better defense behind the same offense). Both 2 WAR players should add 20 runs to your run differential regardless of whether it's by scoring more or defending more.
Yes, the math should line up the way you say. But I still believe a 4.0 WAR defensive shortstop has much more value than a 4.0 WAR offensive shortstop in OOTP. I have admitted this is an entirely anecdotal observation. The Pirates example was just one I can think of, other things have given me the same feeling.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote