View Single Post
Old 05-25-2019, 04:27 PM   #14
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
There is no magic formula for this,but before bidding see if that upgrade player is in your league and see how well he is doing for another team. Also, when upgrading and there are 10 of the same player being sold, there is probably a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah. I get that. I'm referring to upgrading from, say, a 69 bronze starter who performed admirably, but I know they're going to start tapering off once promoted. I save up PP for 2 seasons, enough to buy a diamond Ralph Kiner. In this case I hadn't seen a Kiner on the AH in a few weeks and was lucky enough to have saved up enough PP.
I insert Kiner, a HoF diamond mind you, and he hit below mendoza line for 20 games with a -.1 WAR and 1 HR in 75ish AB, when the bronze he replaced was hitting .290-.310 with 1.5 WAR. (to reiterate, I replaced the guy hitting well because I knew he would start to degrade as I am promoted through the levels, in other words he was hitting well above his ratings suggested he should) The first thing I do upon checking my teams is sort by WAR, and anytime I replace someone I check about 24 real hours later to see this same occurrence. Not always with diamonds, per se, but quite obvious upgrades.

In PT19 it happened with Killebrew, Griffey Jr., Nolan Ryan (pitcher's stats, though), Mike Trout, and Chris Sale. But when I upgrade a very marginal amount like from a 65 bronze to 69 bronze or 70 silver the replacements seem to pick up immediately.

In the aforementioned scenario the diamond almost always plays to their ratings eventually. I just don't understand why a HoFer wouldn't immediately start raking. Especially in bronze and iron leagues. It's only a minor annoyance, but it's happened too often to merely be coincidence.

Last edited by Findest2001; 05-25-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote