View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 02:55 PM   #13
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
I know that every pitcher has an occasional bad game now and then. And yes, I too have had my mediocre #5 pitcher pitch like Cy Young in a game now and then when I played it out as opposed to simming. But did he imitate Cy Young in virtually EVERY game you played out ... and then resort back to being horrible whenever you simmed?

I just find it interesting ... somehow I can randomly choose to play out five out of thirty starts by my ace. And I choose the exact five games that he has "bad" outings? I can certainly see once in a while having a bad game. But this happens league ... after league ... after league.

This is like the big-time pitcher who is an absolute ace ... until he pitches a game in prime time on national TV. My guy "chokes" whenever games are played out instead if being simmed.
i'd say look over any seasons game log and look at the volatility game to game.

good pitchers have bad games more often than you perceive, maybe? and, i'm sure you remember the negative more than the positive as far as "everytime."

it's impossible to know if 1 game's result was a choke or any other number of reasons that cause a bad outing. if young, i can follow that.

let's look at verlander. the guy was horrendous at more than a few things he did the "1st" time. it wasn't because he choked, either. he's just an obstinate and/or selfish person. ASG -- just goes out there and throws like an animal. imo, that's just total disrespect to your teammates. a burden to them for reducing their chances at winning by taking such a moronic approach. you can't ricky vaughn it from "major league." that's stupid.

you'd hear comments from leyland about not being accountable. subtle or difficult to read, but eventualyl he said it blatantly. something akin to, well you let up 5 runs, i don't know how you cna think you pitched well, lol.... that sort of statement in his 2nd year? maybe 3rd? way too late, in either case. he was slow to change a grip on his changeup that was known to cause blisters. waited for it to be a problem before doing anything about it. just the typical younger person retorting, "i know what i'm doing." as they screw something up or do something in a horribly inefficient way when all they had to do was listen for 2 seconds prior.

he isn't a dumb person and he works hard, from what i can tell (one year he did get scrawny, but beefed back up the next - could see it in the legs). he's just slow at learning because his ego gets in the way far too often.

in his defense, i'd attribute his early playoff mediocrity to normal baseball stuff. he seemed poised, and i don't remember too much caveman behaviour. no "ricky vaughn moments," but those memories aren't as clear for some reason.. i'm guessing alcohol was invovled. (my memory, not his results, lol)

Last edited by NoOne; 02-08-2019 at 03:00 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote