View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
JRockne
Minors (Single A)

June 1903

New York Highlanders

June 1903

June was a tough month. The wheels really fell off the team bus with the rest of the league (except the Senators) rushing past the Highlanders on the race to the pennant.

Frustration grew with each loss. Four losses came because of unearned runs. Because the Deadball era has a dearth of home runs, pitching, running and DEFENSE are important. The four “unearned losses” this month prove that point.

Kid Elberfeld jointed the team on June 10 in a trade where we said goodbye to Ernie Courtney and Herman Long. Remember, I have historical transacton on so I’m not the one making these trades.

In fact, the only changes I’m making involve occasionally changing a starting pitcher. I’m also bringing in relief pitchers more often and sooner.

I’m not sure how July is going to play out. But I would hope to see fewer games lost because of defensive miscues. Also, given the effectiveness of the bullpen, I’d like to see the number of relief innings up.

Team Statistics

April: 5 – 3
May: 13 – 13
June: 9 - 18

Batters are leading the league in strikeouts with 204. Pitchers trying to outdo the hitters but can only muster second in the hits allowed standings.

The only real highlight is a third place bullpen ERA of 2.15. What is nice is I am aggressively using my bullpen.

Team Leaders

Batting

Willie Keeler .288/.348/.416
Jimmy Williams .286/.318/.423
Monte Beville .261/.301/350

Pitching

Jack Chesbro 7 – 9 2.63
Clark Griffith 4 – 5 3.99
Harry Howell 5 – 4 2.51
Jesse Tannehill 7 – 7 3.27

Standings

Cleveland Naps 41 – 23
Detroit Tigers 40 – 25 1.5 GB
Boston Americans 37 – 28 4.5
Phil. Athletics 34 – 29 6.5
Chicago White Sox 31 – 32 9.5
St. Louis Browns 29 – 35 12
Highlanders 27 – 34 12.5
Wash. Senators 14 – 47 25.5

Thank God for the Senators

Highlights of the Month

Deacon Philippe of the Pittsburgh Pirates threw a no-hitter against the Boston Beaneaters.

On June 22 the Highlanders beat the Naps 2 – 0 in a game where neither team scored an earned run.

AL Batter of the Month: Elmer Flick of the Naps
NL Batter of the Month: Jimmy Sheckard of the Superbas

AL Pitcher of the Month: Rube Waddell of the Athletics
NL Pitcher of the Month: Sam Leever of the Pirates

AL Rookie of the Month: Lee Tannehill of the White Sox
NL Rookie of the Month: Jimmy Sebring of the Pirates
JRockne is offline   Reply With Quote