Major Leagues

Game 114 – August 16
6 – Royals
5 – Toronto
10 Innings

WP – Steve Farr (2-1)
LP – Dennis Lamp (4-3)
SV – Dan Quisenberry (21)

Quickly jumped out to a 3-run lead with a Jorge Orta home run in the first. But a George Brett error led to 2 runs in the 4th.

We were up 5-2 in the 7th, but the Blue Jays tied it up with 2 runs in the 7th and 1 in the 8th.

Farr managed hold them for the rest of the 8th and the ninth. Then in the top of the 10th with 2 outs, Collins, who's been running a bit of a cold streak, doubled. Brett walked, and a double steal put them at 2nd and 3rd. The Blue Jays intentionally walked Cooper to load the bases, and Orta knocked in Collins with a single. Quisenberry allowed a single but otherwise he held fast for his 21st save.

Orta finished the game 3-5 with 4 RBI's and 2 runs scored.

Game 115 – August 17
0 – Royals
6 – Toronto

WP – Doyle Alexander (15-3)
LP – Bret Saberhagen (12-10)

2 errors by Frank White, and one by Jim Sundberg led to 4 unearned runs. Doyle Alexander gave up only 3 hits in 8 innings.

Game 116 – August 18
9 – Royals
10 – Toronto

WP – Jim Acker (3-2)
LP – Al Holland (2-4)
SV – Dennis Lamp (24)

Everything I tried in the 7th inning failed. 12 Toronto batters came to the plate and 8 scored. We led 6-2 and Steve Farr started the inning against righties Barfield and Bell – Bell singled. Bob McClure came into face Willie Upshaw and Lloyd Moseby, but after a month of shutting down the lefties, Upshaw homered and Moseby singled. 6 more reached base capped off by a Jessie Barfield bases-loaded triple.

McClure's Royal's ERA doubled from 2.08 to 4.15. Holland's went from 2.06 to 3.12.

We did make a little go of it in the 8th when Dave Collins fired a bases-loaded double to get us within 1. But we could manage nothing more.

-
Glad to see the end of the Toronto in the regular season. 1-11. Yikes. Remove them from my schedule and I'm at .500.

The Jays have 6 players with at least 15 home runs. There's not a quiet point in the lineup. Cecil Fielder DH'd in the last game and batted 9th.

I have 2 guys with at least 15 home runs and one of them is in AAA. Steve Balboni. Brett leads the team with 20. Frank White, 13.

-
My record 53-63; 5th; 7 games behind Minnesota
Real Life: 63-51; 2nd; 2.5 games behind California
so49as is offline   Reply With Quote