so49as
Major Leagues

Game 111 – August 12
4 – Royals
5 – Boston

WP – Oil Can Boyd (15-5)
LP – Bret Saberhagen (12-9)
SV – Steve Crawford (16)

Motored to a 4 run lead by stringing together a solo home run, a few hits, a double steal by Brett and Cooper, and a passed ball. 13 hits altogether with Wilson, Brett, Orta, Sundberg, and Royster getting multiples.

But in the bottom of the 5th, the Red Sox strung together 5 singles and a double to come within 1 run. And in the bottom of the 6th, with 1 out and runners on 2nd and 3rd, Saberhagen uncorked first a wild pitch to tie the game, and then balked in the winning run.

Game 112 – August 13
6 – Royals
7 – Boston

WP – Mark Clear (4-1)
LP – Bud Black (8-9)

Bud didn't have his good stuff until the 4th inning and by that time, we were down 6-1 thanks to a 3-run homer by Tony Armas, and a 2-run shot by Dwight Evans. It was our turn to claw back tying the game in the 7th on a 3-run Jorge Orta home run. He went 2-4 with 4 RBI's total.

But with 107 pitches going into the 9th with a runner on first, I kept Black in to face lefties Steve Lyons and Rich Gedman. Lyons sacrificed Rice over, and Gedman singled.

I was saving Quisenberry for a save, but hindsight tells me there's no reason to save him if the game is on the line. Steve Farr got Damaso Garcia to ground out, but Jody Reed singled in the winning run.

Game 113 – August 14
3 – Royals
6 – Boston

WP – Bob Ojeda (9-10)
LP – Al Holland (2-3)
SV – Steve Crawford (17)

Cooper and McRae knocked in 3 runs in the first two innings and Wilson scored twice. But 4 singles and a George Brett error let the Red Sox tie it up in the bottom of the third.

In the bottom of the 7th, I brought in Al Holland to face a string of tough lefties, and in 7 pitches we were down by three. Boggs and Jim Rice singled. And then Gedman launched a line drive home run out to centerfield. Holland finished the inning not allowing another run, but giving up singles to lefties Mike Easler and Steve Lyons.

-
Wade Boggs hit safely in all 3 games to extend his hitting streak to 19 games. He pushed his average from .399 to .408.

Lost 6 in a row now. Questioning my choice of knocking out a few games before work this morning. Haha.

-
My record 52-61; 5th; 5.5 games behind Minnesota
Real Life: 61-50; 2nd; 2.5 games behind California
so49as is offline   Reply With Quote