Thread: NFL 2019 Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 11:07 AM   #137
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
I'm not saying tanking can't suceed, but playing to win is a better strategy in the long term than tanking. Tanking is just a short term solution, and good teams stockpiling free agents have kind of made it a necessity.
While you're right that the draft is a big enough crapshoot that tanking isn't worth it, the way teams go about finding their quarterback nowadays, mostly anyone with a pulse will be picked top 10 (some exceptions of course; Lamar Jackson was more athlete than quarterback coming out, Dwayne Haskins I feel like just fell), and it's cheaper to sell off veterans for assets than to give up future assets to move up and get your guy.

While it's clear the Dolphins are in complete tank mode, I don't think that was their intention with the Tunsil deal. I think that was more about taking advantage of a head coach out of his depth in the GM role and robbing him blind. Considering the value placed on first round picks and the fact Tunsil has been more reputation than production so far, they absolutely robbed Houston blind on that deal. Committing to the tank was a result of the move, but I don't think it was necessarily their plan before the deal
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote