Thread: Exit Velocity?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #99
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Ball Dave View Post
Then we send a scout to watch. That 115 hit could have been off of a guy throwing 84mph which is the upper limit of what the guy can hit. He may be incapable of hitting a breaking pitch. One hit in one a bat does not a prospect make. I need to know a lot more than the EV from one at bat. I may be looking at a raw guy who is a very long term project and a big risk, or a sure fire star like Guerrero jr. I don't know enough just by looking at his EV, in fact I know very little.
Obviously you don't put him in the majors. But one 115 EV event does say a lot. There are almost no major league players who ever reach that even once in their entire career. It's clearly an elite skill no matter when it's done and no matter what pitcher it's against.

What's funny is that EV is exactly what teams are using now when drafting. I follow the Red Sox. I know for a fact that their 2018 draft was filled with guys with above average EV. The evaluations of pick after pick were filled with comments like "another high EV guy".

In any event, a scout writing down "hits the ball really really hard" vs. "hits the ball really hard" is not quite as descriptive as "hit the ball 115 mph".

Last edited by zrog2000; 03-22-2019 at 03:07 PM.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote