View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 05:25 PM   #4
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
I can't say definitively, but that certainly is the impression I have received over time- both from what I've read here (including hints, at least, from developers) and what I've experienced in the game. What the exact nature of the effect is or how dramatic is up for speculation I think. But there have been indications that framing ability is built into catcher defensive ability ratings and therefore one would guess that this could turn some potential balls into strikes, leading to better pitching performance.

Again, just guessing, but I'm thinking the effect might be strongest on pitchers who are roughly median level talent and perhaps less strong (or, anyway, less strongly felt) with pitchers who are very good or very bad.

I will say this- I will no longer keep catchers on my roster who aren't at least above average defensively. And in my primary save, my fictional team routinely has the best pitching including some apparent over-achieving compared to ratings. (Many factors, of course, as always, so hard to untangle all the threads to make any hard conclusions. I also have great infield defense, use mostly groundball pitchers, and have a pitching coach with a wonderful reputation who specializes in groundballers. But also a young starting catcher who just won his second consecutive gold glove award.)

My thought is that every little advantage counts. And I'm pretty sure that great defensive catchers give you at least a little bit of advantage in terms of your pitching staff's performance.
Cool. Thanks for the response.

You alluded to hints from developers? Does anyone recall anything official...overt or implied...said in this regard? I get it if they don't want to show the secret sauce, but I think the catcher is/should be an important part of building a roster.
waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote