View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
bob_bask
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
I've been watching old videos of Chuvalo at his best in the mid '60s (DeJohn, Jones, Patterson, etc) and really believe the guy's defence was underrated. He didn't get hit flush anywhere near as often as many of the bonehead Toronto sportswriters would have you believe. He slipped some, blocked a lot and took plenty on his shoulders. He had a good jab too, better than a lot of modern heavies. A few of his losses in those days can be blamed on pure bad luck and weird circumstances (read his autobio). Claims he was a dirty fighter were based on the fact he was a body-puncher who threw in volume, some of which are going to stray with the other guy moving too. It was also the cause of some of his points losses, as even then judges were more impressed by head shots than belts to the guts.

Cap
Haven't spent much time looking at Chuvalo. Remember you running him against a post-prime Liston and getting the stoppage win.

How you done your own rating for him Cap?

"I occasionally agreed to carry an opponent, almost always in what is known as a tune-up fight. I never considered it morally wrong as long as I was winning the fight. I was never a killer, like some fighters. I never enjoyed knocking out a guy who I knew had no chance to beat me." Sugar Ray Robinson
bob_bask is offline   Reply With Quote