View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 03:56 AM   #51
AstaSyneri
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
First, let me thank you for your effort here. It is a good idea and a noble effort, but it's not going to work because of what I say below.

Exactly. A proper manual must have the insight and oversight of the developers, not the community. In the past, the manual has been written by a trusted insider (Steve Battisti comes to mind, bless him, wherever he is now) with the guidance of Andreas and Markus themselves. hefalumps makes excellent points here. The manual already has "a pretty thorough overview of the game." When the community would need the expertise to fill in its blanks, who among us has private and instant access to Andreas and Markus? Nobody? At least nobody who is not already doing a fair share of volunteer work on a game? So what do we end up with as a result? Right.

I'm one of those patrons but I consider myself a realist rather than apologist. Yes we do need a manual. The point is, there IS a manual and it's not too bad. It's not up to date, yet. It soon will be, I trust. As I said someplace else, this is a two (and a half?) person enterprise. When I see OOTPB on sale in its own end-aisle display in Walmart, THEN I will expect an up-to-date manual on Day One. Until then, I'd rather the two (and a half?) people concentrate on improving and de-bugging the game first.
In many parts I agree with you. It would certainly be best, if the developers took the bull by the horns and updated the manual. Maybe, if the see the interest in this topic, they'll see the light ;-).

Until then I still need to find out the hard way about certain aspects.
AstaSyneri is offline   Reply With Quote