View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 07:44 PM   #11
MorrisButtermaker
Minors (Single A)

the Bushwicks played against all the stars of the Negro Leagues year in and year out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
many negro league teams had 2 or 3 squads traveling about using the same name at the same time. if you ponder on that for a bit you might realize the basic premise probably means nothing.
The Bushwicks offered the highest pay day to visiting teams of any baseball team outside of the American and National Leagues. Their stadium sat 15,000 and in some years they drew more fans than some teams from the American and National Leagues even though they never played more than about 92 games in a season. They wanted to play the best teams regardless of race and the best teams wanted to play them. It was what was best for business. In Baseball's Peerless Semipros: The Brooklyn Bushwicks of Dexter Park, Thomas Barthel documents the fact that the Bushwicks played against all the stars of the Negro Leagues year in and year out. I have a family member who collected many Negro League star's autographs in Dexter Park before games against the Bushwicks. They appear to have played more games vs. the Negro National League teams than the Negro American Leagues teams. I think this is explained by geography. Box scores from the team's games against the Negro Leagues teams were all printed in the newspapers. It has been fascinating to study them through https://fultonsearch.org/ and see just who they played against.

If I can just get to the bottom of whether I have one or more bugs in my game I can continue with my efforts to create a version of the Bushwicks in OOTP Baseball, experiment with them and see what I can learn.
MorrisButtermaker is offline   Reply With Quote