View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 12:30 AM   #13
bigd51
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qeltar View Post
Thanks for all the great thoughts in this thread.

I am new to the game and started with a Marlins system in a shambles. I'm "learning on the job" so to speak. After the amateur draft I spent hours meticulously going through my entire farm system, culling the chaff and moving guys where I thought they fit and would get playing time.

I just got my first player development update on July 1... seeing those red "-"s drive me nuts! I think there are a lot more green "+"s but you know what I mean.

I don't understand some of the seemingly odd movements either. One guy had his potential contact go up by 5, potential power go up by 5 and potential eye go up by 10.. and his overall potential rating drop from 2.5 to 1 star. ??? My scout, who was very up on the guy before, now thinks he's junk. Is there some hidden meaning to this I just can't see?

It is fun to develop a farm system basically from scratch.. though pretty intimidating as well. I don't really trust the AI, especially with the many two-ways and "converted" players I have.... and there's a lot of guys. Plus I keep signing guys off the FA list. I signed a guy last week and he made player of the week his first week, feels nice.
I just started playing OOTP with last years game. From one rookie to another, after spending over 200+ hours experimenting/learning the game from the ground up and cheating my way (through Commissioner Mode) to 7 World Series titles in 10 years... you'll learn to appreciate the subtleties this game has to offer, if you haven't already.

Experiment, start over, experiment, start over. That's the beauty of it all. It freaked me the hell out when I first started with all the overwhelming options. It freaked me the hell out when I saw one of my top SP's in my farm league go "negative" in many areas in my first scouting report... but I quickly realized that's just how it goes. This game isn't meant for the faint of heart (coming from a once bi-yearly MLB: The Show guy).

You fail a lot. But the subtleties... when you actually take the precious time to at least try and learn them... is what makes this game worth playing, overall.
bigd51 is offline   Reply With Quote