View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #15
ryanivr
All Star Reserve

Catcher

Catchers are probably the most difficult players to evaluate through statistics. There isn't a great defensive metric out there to figure out how well they're playing in the field. How well they call the game or work well with a rotation is 1) debated and 2) not in the game

So, you're left with their scouted defensive ratings. Arm is very important. As a previous poster said, if you can shut down an opponents running game, you've helped yourself out a lot. While you probably don't NEED a super arm to get by, I'd at least look for an average arm. What you don't want is the opposing team stealing 3 or 4 bases on you in a game.

Catching ability is how well they can stop wild pitches/block balls in the dirt. Those will also let the other team freely move around the bases.

All of that is why the catchers defense is typically more important than their offensive output.

That brings me to my next point that I'll bring up for each position but explain now. Each "group" of positions have a typical offensive output based on how difficult it is to play defensively. That seems strange at first, but if you think about it, it makes sense. Players that play up the middle (Catcher, SS, 2B, CF) are generally not as good hitters as corner positions (3B,1B, LF, RF). It takes more defensive skill to play up the middle, so you'll generally have faster, more rangy guys playing there rather than jacked up muscle heads who hit 40 HR a year.

All of this means that each position has a "scarcity" factor. For example, in each league you might only have two or three 2B who can hit 35 HR. But you probably have ten 1B who can hit 35 HR.

You have to work that into the way you build your team. It doesn't mean you should move your 1B to 2B, because then your defense would suffer greatly. But let's say you're drafting and it comes down to a great hitting SS and a great hitting 1B. Offensively, they are equal. With everything else being equal, I'd take the SS in a heartbeat (as long as his defensive ratings said SS to me), because it's much harder to find a great SS than a great 1B.

So in regards to catchers, defense will always be my #1 priority for them, but if you get a chance to land a solid hitting catcher who can field as well, DO IT.

With all of that out of the way...

First Base

Look hitting all the way. These guys should mash. Arm doesn't really matter here. You don't want an error machine, but your number one priority is to have someone who hits very well here.

Second Base/Shortstop

These are you middle infielders, and are arguably the most important defenders on the team, but certainly the most important defensively in the infield.

It's tougher to come by hard-hitting middle infielders, so if you find one in the draft, go for it. What they may lack in power they can make up for with good contact and eye ratings. Also, look for speed.

Defensively, you want everything here. Range is extremely important. Arm is important for SS, not as much for 2B.

Third Base

Think of 3B as in-between what you look for at 2B/SS and 1B. You want a power hitter, but defense is very important. They need a good arm. Range is less of a factor at 3B than it is up the middle.

Outfielders next....
ryanivr is offline   Reply With Quote