Thread: NBA 2019 Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 03:45 PM   #192
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Watching the NBA is like watching 2 games. The basketball game & the "what is the ref looking at?" game.
I'm the last to defend NBA refs, as I believe that they are the worst officials of the major sports leagues... That said, I think in this particular case the problem wasn't with the call made, but by the ambiguity of the "swipe across" rule (or whatever it's called). I believe a few years the NBA decided to reduce the number of what it deemed to be "cheap" shooting fouls (by the likes of Harden and Bryant to name a few), where when the defender would extend an arm close to the guy with the ball, the guy with the ball would swipe across and make contact with the defender's arm as part of his transition into the shooting motion, thus initiating contact that resulted in a shooting foul.

That's what Lou Williams did, although in this particular case it could be argued that it was really one fluid motion... So, based on the rule, for the better or worse of it, that particular call could've gone either way. IMO.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote