View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 12:07 AM   #142
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Oct. 13, 1985

Dick and pitching coach Juan Casado sit down with Lefty at noon. He claims he’s good to go, just a little sore. “I want to be out there for this,” he says. “I know I can help.”

Carlton’s been with the Phillies since 1972. He’s won a world championship and plenty of division titles. He has four Cy Young awards. This year he was good (11-8, 2.92 ERA, 122 K, 68 BB). He’s just 27 strikeouts from 4,000 over his incredible hall of fame career. He’s the guy. He’s our guy. We love him.

We chat with the other starting pitchers, just wanting their thoughts. Hudson: “I’d love to be out there, but if Lefty can go, give it to Lefty.”

By 2 p.m. we have our answer. We’re giving the ball to Lefty. He goes against Los Angeles’ Rick Honeycutt. A huge moment for a huge player. Meanwhile, hot-hitting Terry Puhl will start in right field despite the lefty on the mound.

Before the game, I put Chicago 17 on my in-office record player and listen deep to “Hard Habit to Break.” I take a nice sip of my whiskey. Go Lefty, go.

Game 1985-NLCS4: Veterans Stadium - Dodgers 7, Phillies 6 / Dodgers lead 3-1

I can’t blame Lefty for this. Both he and Rick Honeycutt allow four runs, with Carlton going five innings. He guts it out, for sure. But Bill Campbell? He’s the goat here, in what is another of those classic Phillies-Dodgers tilts of 1985. Same old story.

Campbell picks up the ball in the sixth, armed with a 6-4 lead, and proceeds to let it slip away. A couple singles, a triple, and a double over 1.1 innings gives the Dodgers a lead they wouldn’t squander. The basic issue: We have like 1.5 good relievers at any time. Paul Molitor goes 2-for-5 with a home run and 3 RBI. Sigh. A wasted loss in some respects, but maybe I should’ve seen this coming and ponied up for better pitching at the deadline? Or maybe not. Maybe the chips fall by design.

Oct. 14, 1985

As for the other game yesterday, the Toronto Blue Jays are going to the World Series for the first time ever. They beat the Mariners 2-0 in game five of the ALCS behind a solid Jimmy Key start. They await the winner of our series.

We go with Charles Hudson, and the Dodgers will counter with Orel Hershiser. So we’ll have to beat Orel and Fernando to win this series. I don’t know, but we’ll give it a go.

Game 1985-NLCS5: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 7, Dodgers 3 / Dodgers lead 3-2

We get to Hershiser and take the series back to Los Angeles.

Early on it fits the narrative, with the Dodgers coming back right after we score, then adding one to get up 2-1. But we tie it, then Hudson brings in two with an RBI single to give us the lead. He settles in from there, striking out seven and allowing five baserunners over 7.1 innings. Mike Schmidt drives in two and knocks out Hershiser with a fifth-inning home run that puts us up 5-2. Juan Samuel adds a homer of his own, and Larry Andersen finishes the game with a 1.2-inning run.

We leave the Vet and grab a red-eye to Los Angeles International.

Oct. 15, 1985

Last off day of the series, and we hear that the Dodgers’ Bill Russell - who hasn’t played at all this series - will retire at the end of the season. He had a good career, playing for LA since 1969 and being on all those teams that have played us in past postseason series, and was known mostly for his defense.

But I don’t want to hear any of that “Win it for Bill” crap, by the way.

Oct. 16, 1985

The boys look loose tonight, and they get a good pep talk from Robin Roberts, who visits us before the game. He thinks Scott Sanderson is going to have a big game. Well, we’ll need it.

Game 1985-NLCS6: Dodger Stadium - Dodgers 2, Phillies 0 / Dodgers win 4-2

It’s over. And in a fitting way, as Fernando Valenzuela, who has had our number all season, no-hitting us back in May and nearly doing it again in game two of this series, goes the distance with a two-hitter. He allows just three hits against us all series (and wins the MVP). It’s preposterous, and yet it’s something I have to accept. The Dodgers are headed to the World Series.

They get their runs via the longball - one each by Dave Anderson and Tom Lombarski. Yes, their worst hitters. It feels like a joke.

But hey, we won 75 games last season and then 98. We got to game six of the NLCS. I’d say this was a hell of a year. A hell of a year.

While the Dodgers celebrate, we have our own little powwow in the clubhouse. Yes, the boys are upset, but it isn’t the same sort of defeat. Mike Schmidt toasts to a great season: “You guys are the finest group of guys I’ve ever played with. Let’s get healed up quick, cause I can’t wait to get back out there next year.”

Juan Samuel turns on some music and dances to break the tension. He’s joined by Glenn Wilson and Paul Assenmacher. UL Washington hands out cigars to the boys. They’re in a decent mood, reflective and at ease. Again, it was a hell of a year.
The_Myth is offline   Reply With Quote