Thread: Mets
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 03:07 PM   #366
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Yes, "multiple reports" have Carlos Beltran as the next New York Mets manager. First of all, time flies. It seems like only a little while ago that he was playing for the Mets! (Actually, he was traded to the Giants for Zack Wheeler in July 2011.)

He is "widely regarded for his baseball acumen" but he's another guy with no managing or even coaching experience that I know of. Also, I remember something about Beltran and the Wilpons not being on the friendliest of terms when he played in New York.

Oh yeah, this is what I was thinking about, deep down in this article: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...offs-curveball

Here's the excerpt from that interview:
Quote:
When Carlos Beltran came up, I mentioned his prodigious post-season with the Astros in 2004, when he hit eight home runs, just before he went to the Mets as a free agent. Wilpon laughed, not happily. “We had some schmuck in New York who paid him based on that one series,” he said, referring to himself. In the course of playing out his seven-year, $119-million contract with the Mets, Beltran, too, has been hobbled by injuries. “He’s sixty-five to seventy per cent of what he was.”
Strange bedfellows, indeed. Or short memories; let's hope for that.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 11-01-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote