View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
sprague
All Star Starter

Fights, Brawls and tough guys

While modern hockey is on the decline in these areas...they still exist- esp now the russian k-league
and if we are doing historical play of any kind, this feature should be a part of the game. Even though I know you may not be starting with actual players out of the box, we can change the names, and as long as the features of the game support it we can make Scott Stevens, Red Horner, Ted Green and Dave Semenko key parts of the overall gameplay

One of the great things about ootp is that everything is customizeable
we can change each aspect of play as we choose
i hope the hockey feature keeps that in mind. we can choose a no fight league to a high fight league if we want. so for example the mention of suspension. we should have the choice like said: low, average, high, very high ect.

for me some keys to make this a real-life game
1- actual value for tough guys and fighters. winning a fight should give the team a boost. Dave Schultz and John Fergusson turned games around with a fight win

2-more physical play in early era hockey. 1930's and 40's was tough. but again in the game is customizable we can alter players as we see fit
A big bodycheck rating where you can injure someone for a Scott Stevens or a Leo Boivin

3 bench emptying brawls. While not common anymore, 30-40 years ago you had one or two a month in the nhl, and lots in major junior.
there should be a button for the coach at any time can clear his bench if he wants...could at least wait until a fight is actually in progress

key suggestion for brawls though- even if some sort of line brawl is to be added into the game....don't do what strat o matic did for example. They just had a place on the chart where a line brawl took place and top 4 players on ice penalty wise got 5+misconduct. that was unreasonable if my #3 penalty guy happened to be mats naslund. he's not going to fight just becauase a box says so. What if its Buch Goring or Dave Keon? They go from 2 penalty minutes a year to 15. So it makes sense to have something like
Line Brawl ? if X# of players over 100 pim on ice.
However without a brawl feature...just won't be a real hockey simulation.
If i have the Oshawa Generals 1981 or Boston Bruins 1970 or Montreal Canadiens 1931 I should expect some big dust ups during the season

4 special plays
I made a modified strat chart for penalties that gave certain players (who got a crazy rating ie Ted Lindsay or Steve Durbano) the slight chance to run a goalie, punch a ref, jump in the crowd, attack a team's best player...nice feature, happened once or twice in a season.

Anyway wanted to throw all this out there. It is the most glaring area missing in all attempts and making a hocke sim out there. This goes in the game, even if not perfect from the start but addressed- I almost guarantee a number of converts from other games. I know of 10-20 right now over a strat who come on board tomorrow if these things were available
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote