Thread: Hit & Run
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2019, 07:58 PM   #15
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
Can the OOTP simulator be run in a historical environment? I know that the historical gurus around here recommend turning up global hit-and-run settings to improve league-wide run total accuracy. So presumably it has some effect, at least in earlier eras.

Perhaps that could be useful to test out for people playing historical OOTP, or if the rumoured tournaments under different eras come about.

After reading that nice hit-and-run article posted above, I think I would lean to these types of players to turn up the slider for:

High CON
Low POW
Low EYE (if high EYE, would rather take a walk)
Low GAP (if high GAP, would rather shoot for a double)
Fast SPD (presumably would get more infield hits)
Groundball Hitters (Flyball Hitters could be a disaster)

So basically someone like the Gold Ichiro. Not sure if he's a Groundball Hitter though, can't remember. Probably a Line Drive Hitter would be OK.
Alright. So far, here is the very little I've learned.

There seems to be a little truth at least to the game accounting for ...sabermetrics not loving the idea of risking a definitive swing on a particular pitch & hoping for contact with mixed results whether they make contact or not...
What I mean is yes I've had the sliders up up and still not seen a hit & run at every other opportunity say, to try and get the runners a headstart.

But....I have also found that if you set....either the globaland/or an individual player's for more than neutral when it comes to hit & run that in the course of ...2 series, you will see it executed or yes, not executed, player will miss I believe...unless that's just a swing and miss on a steal.

So set it to green or more if you want to see it happen ...not all the time but maybe a reasonable amount of the time based on pretty good logic by the OOTP team.

And.....yes, watch out for the swing & miss or the line drive at 'em, or [li'l angry] the flyyyyy ball to right field where the runners, even though they were off before contact, don't have the sense to know they can go stationery & then continue if the ball drops in... And like the old Dodgers owner [Branch Rickey] said, you will be very pleased, when the hit & run works. It's just not a very safe bet.

I don't know about low gap. High gap is nice on a hit & run guaranteeing that even Boggs gets around from 1st on a dooble. I agreed with your other assessments, Argonaut.

Have fun with it, as George Brett said, you want to make it a science but better an art.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote