Thread: Hit & Run
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 01:16 AM   #10
elutz31
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
In theory I would think "avoid K" would be the critical rating. A strikeout would be the worst possible result, since it would lead to a strike-em-out / throw-em-out double play very often.

In practice though, after running some tests and trying various settings with the hit and run sliders....I don't think they really do much at all. My best guess is that since they are out of fashion in today's MLB (thanks to the prevalence of HR power) the LTMs only allot a very small number of hit&run plays to each league/season. So overall they end up having a negligible effect on gameplay even if you crank the slider way up.
If the game is using 2010 as it's template I doubt today's MLB has much to do with how effective the sliders are. The link below is a hit and run study done from 2003-2011 during the season of the game's template. The LA Angels attempted a hit and run 6.4%(536 out of 8319 or 60 a year) of the time during a hit and run opportunity. They were the top team in the league over that span. Boston were on the bottom at 1.8%. So if the average is 4% and each adjustment of the slide bar is say 10% if it's maxed out you're 50% more you're talking 6% of the time will they attempt a hit and run. I have no idea if 10% per adjustment is accurate. I'm just using it for the example. Basically at 4% a hit and run will take place about every 4 1/2 games and at 6% 1 will happen around every 3 games. Also does the simulation show you an animation of a guy swinging and missing while a guy is stealing a base or does it just look like a stolen base attempt with no knowledge of whether it was a failed hit and run attempt? That could affect trying to track it manually.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/n...s-no-accident/

Last edited by elutz31; 08-26-2019 at 01:27 AM.
elutz31 is offline   Reply With Quote