View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

My experience is that given enough time, and especially if they have high work ethic and/or high intelligence, a few will turn into something worthwhile. Haven't seen any turn into superstars for me yet, but a few decent big leaguers. (One, who I traded away while he was still in AAA, finished second in ROY voting for his new team shortly after that.)

The thing is, many of these players are very young so there is a lot of time for them to develop into something more than they initially seem. And more time for random talent change to kick in as well. I try not to pay too much attention to what they look like when they are signed but let them marinate a bit and see if they get more tasty. (No Hannibal Lecter reference intended there.) Now if they have horrible character traits I probably won't wait long to unload them. But anyone with decent character and any possible skill area I will have patience with.

(Might not be a bad idea to check their ratings relative to various levels of the minors also. If they remain bottom-of-the-scale at every level I'm guessing they won't ever make it. But if they suddenly look like they have some promise if you are looking at them relative to, say, AA, then with some more development and a bit of luck they might turn into more than just career minor leaguers.)
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote