View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 10:30 AM   #11
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlon View Post
How many pitchers have a green stamina rating (60 if you are using the 1-100 scale for ratings) in your league? These are the pitchers who actually have the necessary stamina required to start games. Any pitchers with less than that can still be used, but they will struggle to average even 5 IP/GS.
Again, that has not been my experience. Using either the game's or your pitcher stamina ratings, along with the game's relief and hook settings, you shouldn't have much trouble with starting pitchers completing games, and that includes pitchers at the back end of the rotation. In addition, you should find lots of relief pitchers with blue or green stamina ratings.

For instance, in my 1922 simulation where I used six-man rotations and two-man bullpens, Ole Olsen started 26 games and completed six, even though he has a stamina rating of 25 on the 20-80 scale. He pitched 179 innings in his starts, averaging 6.9 IP/start. The pitcher settings I used were:

Hook for starting pitcher: -1
Hook for relief pitcher: +2 (slow)
Use of relievers: very rarely*
Use of closers: very rarely
Pitcher stamina: high
Pinch hit for pitchers: very rarely

I think all of those are the OOTP defaults. I'll note that those differ from your recommended settings in that you have relievers set at "normal" and closers set at "very often." I'm not quite clear on why you have closers set that high when the closer "position" wasn't really invented until around the 1980s. Given those settings, though, I'm not surprised that many of your back-end starters aren't making it out of the fifth inning.

*I think that rating may be too low. If I ran this test again, I would probably set relievers at "rarely" instead of "very rarely."

Last edited by joefromchicago; 07-22-2019 at 10:54 AM.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote