View Single Post
Old 04-07-2019, 08:34 PM   #14
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbeene View Post
Why doesn't the documentation provide greater insight??
thinking out loud
Probably because there is no defining Historical line between the Stopper and the Closer Roles as far as when one was implemented over the other. Were only know it happened in the 80's. It was a gradual evolution at times there were teams still using a Stopper and some teams going with the Closer. The main difference being the number of Innings worked and the point of entry. Stoppers would come in and finish games as early as the 7th inning, sometimes pitching more than 3ip, Closers Historically never went longer than 2 innings and usually 1 or less more often than more than 1. The only thing for certain is that teams went with one or the other during the time when these roles overlapped and for the most part No Teams utilized both on the same Staff. There can only be one guy who finishes the game regardless of when he comes in.

Since these 2 Roles were never actually used together Historically, It is probably impossible to give "greater insight" into how the game will act when a team chooses to do that.
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote