View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #581
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

WPK mourns tragic death of former player Moises Castro

July 29, 1974- Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

News today out of Santo Domingo has shocked the WPK world. Moises Castro, the 39-year old former catcher for the Boston Berserkers, Brooklyn Aces, and El Paso Dawgs, has been shot to death in a dispute over property rights. Castro, who was strictly a back-up catcher during his five year WPK career, was extremely well liked among his teammates. He was known for his strong work ethic, keen intelligence, and humility. Many considered him a candidate for a coaching position someday.
Details of his death are still sketchy and the Dominican authorities are currently engaged in an intense investigation, but word is that Castro, who retired from baseball in 1970 and returned home to Santo Domingo shortly thereafter, was touring the small avocado farm he recently purchased and an angry neighbor, who believed that Mr. Castro's employees had encroached upon his property, shot him to death.
Everyone who knew Castro seem convinced that he would have done everything in his power to reach peace with his neighbor and that he in no way instigated or escalated the conflict.

Words of condolence are coming from all over the WPK universe and the El Paso Dawgs, the team he played the most games for and the team he last wore the uniform of, will be wearing black armbands with his initials for the rest of the 1974 season. Former El Paso player and current single A third baseman Orlando Hernandez, who played with Castro during both of his stints with El Paso and is a fellow Santo Domingo native, said, "Moises was like a brother to me. He was one of the most real people I ever met, never said a bad word about anyone, never put himself above anyone else. I can't believe he's gone so soon. I can't believe how senseless this is."

Moises Castro's murder is the first reported death of a former WPK player and the premature and violent nature of it has rocked the league to its foundations.
Name:  Screenshot (97).jpg
Views: 316
Size:  127.6 KB
Name:  Screenshot (98).jpg
Views: 263
Size:  173.4 KB
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote