Thread: MLB 2019 thread
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 08:23 AM   #121
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrycaj View Post
Am I alone in thinking the whole London experience was a complete joke? I'm normally a giant fan of MLB Network but I felt they went with the hard sell on this. Like they received a mandate from the league office to push it hard. The typical stuff you see from ESPN, which I expected at this point when I had to tune into that garbage network to watch. I get games in Japan, Mexico, anywhere in the Carribbean but nobody cares in England. I was just there last July, I asked around (I get it, small sample size) I didn't find anybody that cared. I would really like to know how many non U.S. Travelers really went to these game? Or if MLB took a page out of the NFL book and paid people to show wearing jerseys to make it look like they cared. As for the actual games that could be a longer post, but the league should be embarrassed to say the least. What did they make the pitchers use? Baseballs with a super ball core? Those balls were worse than the crap they make them use everyday here in the states. This may be my first and last controversial post. I tend to stay away from such things but for some reason this whole thing really rubbed me the wrong way this weekend and I wanted to vent.
First, $$$. Second, I suspect every pitcher that gave up at least three runs was promised a sports car or something. Because more runs -> more excitement?

Third, this was the closest - as far as I can tell - that an MLB game has ever taken place to me, and that still couldn't make me do a four-day round trip.

Finally, the UK is probably the only European country where MLB has a whiff of a chance of becoming mainstream interesting. They have cricket after all, and the major test games will take days to complete.

...although MLB could have adapted at least a *wee* bit and call for a tea break after two hours...

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote