View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 01:25 PM   #6148
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
How long has Tubby Tarkanian been the manager of the Vigilantes?
Was he named for the UNLV basketball coach?
Do managers in the IBA usually only ever manage one team? Or do they get fired and hired somewhere else?
Tubby is in his 6th year at the helm of the V's.
Yes, I gave him the last name of the UNLV basketball coach, Jerry Tarkanian… I like Armenian names... long ago and far away when EC was in his teens Stanford had an All-American quarterback named Gary Kerkorian... he went on to have a mediocre NFL career with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Baltimore Colts... he was third string to the great Johnny Unitas... I think he is the first Armenian name I ever encountered in sports.

Tubby was a big catcher, so that's why he has that nickname... 5'8" and 230 pounds... fairly good catcher for 16 years... modest career numbers... was really good early in his career... had good power.

I have a good answer as to why the managers don't go to other teams when they get fired... it is a way of life in Islandia to be born, live and die in the same town... it's a cultural thing... players don't move to to other teams for the same reason... also EC is sometimes lazy and doesn't like to change the managers much... I also forget to do it... however, lately I have been getting the longtime skippers to gracefully retire... the Islandian fans are very loyal to hometown boys... so you don't have a lot of change... the fans tolerate many years of mediocrity... also some teams are owned by families and they don't fire their relatives... Rocky Rapids and the Noland family... Kentwood and the Hankins family.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by Eugene Church; 01-12-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote